Obama to nominate Jack Lew as new US Treasury Secretary
Washington: President Barack Obama, in an effort to rejuvenate the battered US economy, will nominate his Chief-of-Staff and budget specialist Jack Lew as the next Treasury Secretary.
The 57-year-old, if confirmed by the Senate, will replace Timothy Geithner, who has announced his decision to quit the Obama Cabinet by January end, White House official familiar with the process said.
"Jack Lew will bring an impressive record of service in both the public and private sectors for over three decades and economic expertise to this important role, and his deep knowledge of domestic and international economic issues will enable him to take on the challenges facing our economy at home and abroad on day one," said the official, explaining the reasons behind Lew`s selection.
Lew will be nominated tonight, the official said.
"Throughout his career, Jack Lew has proven a successful and effective advocate for middle class families who can build bipartisan consensus to implement proven economic policies," the official said.
"As White House Chief of Staff, Jack Lew led the President`s team in tackling some of the toughest domestic and international economic challenges facing our nation in decades," the official said, adding that included strengthening nation`s recovery from the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression to dealing with serious fiscal matters and challenges in the global economy.
"He also led the Office of Management and Budget under President Clinton and President Obama, negotiating a historic agreement with Congress during the Clinton administration to balance the federal budget and leading the negotiations of the bipartisan Budget Control Act in 2011, which brought discretionary spending to historically low levels," he said.
As Deputy Secretary of State for Management and Resources, in addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the Department, Lew managed the State Department`s international economic policy portfolio and travelled the world to advance our nation`s interest, said the official.
"He also has a distinguished record leading private and public sector institutions and will bring strong relationships in the business community to his new role," the official said.
"At Citi, he was part of the senior internal management team of this global financial institution, serving as Managing Director and COO of Citi Global Wealth Management and then as Managing Director and COO of Citi Alternative Investments," the official said.
A series of economic topics, including how to raise the USD 16.4 trillion federal borrowing limit to avert a first-ever default by the government and how to respond to China`s growing economic might, would await Lew at the Treasury Department, experts said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH