Obama to release 1st findings from Detroit plot review
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s administration on Thursday will release an initial review into intelligence failures that led up to the failed Christmas Day attempt to blow up an airliner over Detroit.
White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the administration would publish a report by John Brennan, Obama`s top homeland security and counterterrorism adviser, which examines intelligence cooperation and the country`s system of terrorism watch lists.
Those watch lists have been at the centre of a debate over the failings that allowed a young Nigerian man to board a plane from Amsterdam on December 25 and allegedly attempt to ignite explosives as the flight was nearing landing in Detroit.
Obama has slammed his own intelligence community for failing to place the 23-year-old suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab on a no-fly list, despite "red flags" that should have indicated his involvement in a terrorist attack being plotted by al Qaeda`s arm in Yemen.
Gibbs said Obama may also release some initial information into how airport screening procedures might change as a result of the failed plot.
"The review will simply identify and make recommendations as to what was lacking and what needs to be strengthened," Gibbs said, calling it an ongoing "dynamic" process.
Obama met with top cabinet members and top security officials on Tuesday. Voicing frustration about the security breach, Obama said it was clear that the US intelligence community could have stopped the plot from being carried out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe