Obama to sign new Iran sanctions law on Thursday
Washington: US President Barack Obama will sign into law on Thursday tough new sanctions targeting Iran`s energy and banking sectors, the White House said on Wednesday.
The House of Representatives and the Senate approved a new sanctions bill last week that penalises companies supplying Iran with gasoline as well as international banks involved with Iran`s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
It comes after the United Nations Security Council passed a new resolution toughening sanctions on Iran over its refusal to stop enriching uranium.
Iran insists its nuclear program is for the peaceful generation of electricity but the United States and other powers suspect it is a cover to build and atomic bomb.
US lawmakers have been pushing the Obama administration for months to impose unilateral sanctions on Iran to pressure it into curbing its nuclear program.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez