Obama to sign new Iran sanctions law on Thursday
Washington: US President Barack Obama will sign into law on Thursday tough new sanctions targeting Iran`s energy and banking sectors, the White House said on Wednesday.
The House of Representatives and the Senate approved a new sanctions bill last week that penalises companies supplying Iran with gasoline as well as international banks involved with Iran`s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
It comes after the United Nations Security Council passed a new resolution toughening sanctions on Iran over its refusal to stop enriching uranium.
Iran insists its nuclear program is for the peaceful generation of electricity but the United States and other powers suspect it is a cover to build and atomic bomb.
US lawmakers have been pushing the Obama administration for months to impose unilateral sanctions on Iran to pressure it into curbing its nuclear program.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test