Obama to sign new Iran sanctions law on Thursday
Washington: US President Barack Obama will sign into law on Thursday tough new sanctions targeting Iran`s energy and banking sectors, the White House said on Wednesday.
The House of Representatives and the Senate approved a new sanctions bill last week that penalises companies supplying Iran with gasoline as well as international banks involved with Iran`s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
It comes after the United Nations Security Council passed a new resolution toughening sanctions on Iran over its refusal to stop enriching uranium.
Iran insists its nuclear program is for the peaceful generation of electricity but the United States and other powers suspect it is a cover to build and atomic bomb.
US lawmakers have been pushing the Obama administration for months to impose unilateral sanctions on Iran to pressure it into curbing its nuclear program.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'