Obama to speak on legality of drone programme
Washington: President Barack Obama will address the legality of his administration`s controversial drone programme during a speech this week.
A White House official says Obama will also address other counterterrorism policies, including stalled efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
Obama pledged in his State of the Union address earlier this year to make the secret drone program more "transparent" to the public. The official says Obama was ready to deliver Thursday`s speech last month, but it was postponed amid hunger strike protests at Guantanamo and other controversies that have consumed the White House.
The official was authorised to speak about the speech only on background because Obama has yet to deliver it. The speech plans were first reported by The Washington Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi