Obama to speak on legality of drone programme
Washington: President Barack Obama will address the legality of his administration`s controversial drone programme during a speech this week.
A White House official says Obama will also address other counterterrorism policies, including stalled efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
Obama pledged in his State of the Union address earlier this year to make the secret drone program more "transparent" to the public. The official says Obama was ready to deliver Thursday`s speech last month, but it was postponed amid hunger strike protests at Guantanamo and other controversies that have consumed the White House.
The official was authorised to speak about the speech only on background because Obama has yet to deliver it. The speech plans were first reported by The Washington Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand