Obama to speak on legality of drone programme
Washington: President Barack Obama will address the legality of his administration`s controversial drone programme during a speech this week.
A White House official says Obama will also address other counterterrorism policies, including stalled efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
Obama pledged in his State of the Union address earlier this year to make the secret drone program more "transparent" to the public. The official says Obama was ready to deliver Thursday`s speech last month, but it was postponed amid hunger strike protests at Guantanamo and other controversies that have consumed the White House.
The official was authorised to speak about the speech only on background because Obama has yet to deliver it. The speech plans were first reported by The Washington Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!