Obama to speak on legality of drone programme
Washington: President Barack Obama will address the legality of his administration`s controversial drone programme during a speech this week.
A White House official says Obama will also address other counterterrorism policies, including stalled efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
Obama pledged in his State of the Union address earlier this year to make the secret drone program more "transparent" to the public. The official says Obama was ready to deliver Thursday`s speech last month, but it was postponed amid hunger strike protests at Guantanamo and other controversies that have consumed the White House.
The official was authorised to speak about the speech only on background because Obama has yet to deliver it. The speech plans were first reported by The Washington Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India