Obama to travel to four Asian countries in October
Washington: US President Barack Obama would travel to four Asian countries, including Muslim-majority Indonesia and Malaysia, next month as part of his ongoing engagement with the Asia Pacific.
In Indonesia, President Obama will attend the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders meeting, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
APEC is the region`s leading forum for trade and investment integration.
"On the margins of the APEC meeting, the President will host a meeting of Leaders of the Trans-Pacific Partnership countries. He will also meet with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to reaffirm our close bilateral ties and celebrate the third year of our Comprehensive Partnership," Carney said.
Obama will then travel to Brunei for the US-ASEAN Summit and the East Asia Summit (EAS) and to meet the Sultan of Brunei.
ASEAN and the EAS are key forums for regional multilateral cooperation.
"During those meetings the President will discuss the wide range of US cooperation in the Asia Pacific region, including energy, maritime security, investment, development and trade promotion, as well as other topics of regional and global concern," he said.
In Malaysia, Obama will meet Prime Minister Najib to highlight growing bilateral ties with the country, and will deliver the keynote address to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit.
"Now in its fourth year, the Global Entrepreneurship Summit is an initiative the President announced in 2009 to spur job creation through entrepreneurship by connecting young innovators to resources, ideas, and each other," Carney said.
"The President will then travel to the Philippines, the fifth Asian treaty ally he has visited during his presidency. He will meet with President Aquino to reaffirm the strong economic, people-to-people, and security links between our two countries," Carney said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi