Obama to urge China to release Liu Xiaobo
Washington: US President Barack Obama
would urge China to release eminent Chinese dissident Liu
Xiaobo, who is this year`s Nobel Peace Prize winner, the White
House has said.
Amidst strong protest by Beijing, Chinese democracy
activist Wuer Kaixi is likely to collect Nobel award in the
absence of Liu at a ceremony in Oslo, Norway today.
As many as 19 countries are not attending the awards
ceremony including Pakistan and Afghanistan.
"When he was awarded the Nobel Prize, the president
was among the very few who put out a statement both
congratulating him and calling on China to release him. The
President will release his statement reiterating that
tomorrow," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said.
US Ambassador to Norway Barry White will attend the
Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony today, reaffirming the
importance that the United States places on the Nobel award.
"I think we`re there showing support for the (Nobel)
committee`s decision. We were the previous recipient of that
prestigious award," Gibbs said.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the US
continues to encourage the Chinese to open up their own
political space for greater exchange of opinions and advocacy
"We raise human rights in every meeting that we have
between the United States and China, and we will continue to
do so," she said.
"We urge China to uphold its international human
rights work obligations and to respect the fundamental
freedoms and human rights of all Chinese citizens. And we
continue to call for Liu`s immediate release," State
Department spokesman, P J Crowley, told reporters at his daily
"We welcome the committee`s decision to award the
peace prize to Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo and Liu`s
courageous advocacy for political reform and fundamental
freedoms, including his role in the drafting of Charter 08,
deserve our admiration," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'