Obama touts foreign policy successes in Iraq, Libya
Washington: US President Barack Obama sought on Saturday to cast himself as a strong leader on foreign policy, highlighting a pullout from Iraq and the death of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi as success stories.
In a message Obama is likely to push in his 2012 re-election campaign, he said his leadership had made it possible to turn the page on a decade of war and refocus on bolstering the economy and paying down the national debt.
Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address that Gaddafi`s death and the announcement that all US troops would be removed from Iraq this year were "powerful reminders of how we`ve renewed American leadership in the world”.
The emphasis on foreign policy comes as confidence in Obama`s stewardship of the economy has fallen sharply, causing his overall approval ratings to slide to around 42 percent, the lowest of his presidency.
With the economy`s woes weighing heavily on Americans` minds, Obama may have trouble gaining political traction from his message on foreign policy.
The killing in May of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden by a US Navy Seal team in Pakistan brought only a temporary boost to Obama`s poll numbers.
Obama mentioned bin Laden in the radio speech and said victories against al Qaeda -- along with the policies toward Iraq and Libya -- were "part of a larger story" of success.
"In Libya, the death of Muammar Gaddafi showed that our role in protecting the Libyan people, and helping them break free from a tyrant, was the right thing to do," he said.
"In Iraq, we`ve succeeded in our strategy to end the war," Obama added.
Obama said on Friday all troops would leave Iraq as scheduled by the end of this year, after the two governments failed to reach an agreement over giving American soldiers legal immunity.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said on Saturday that Iraq would continue talks with Washington on how US trainers could work with Iraqi forces after the withdrawal.
Prominent Republicans have criticised the decision to fully withdraw troops from Iraq, saying it would embolden neighbouring Iran.
Republicans also contend Obama has hurt America`s image by pursuing a "leading from behind" strategy on the "Arab Spring" uprisings.
Mitt Romney, a front-runner in the Republican race to challenge Obama in 2012, accused the President earlier this month of pulling back from the view that America should be the "strongest nation on Earth”.
Independent Senator Joseph Lieberman was also critical of the move to withdraw from Iraq.
"The announcement by President Obama and Prime Minister Maliki yesterday was a statement of failure, not success," the former Democratic vice presidential nominee said in a statement.
"This failure puts at greater risk all that so many Americans and Iraqis fought, sacrificed, and, in thousands of cases, gave their lives to achieve: an Iraq that is self-governing, self-defending, and aligned with the responsible nations of the world in the fight against Islamist extremism and terrorism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced