Obama urged to recalibrate anti-terror policy, end Afghan war
Washington: A bi-partisan group of
Congressmen has asked President Barack Obama to recalibrate his anti-terrorism policy and end the war in Afghanistan following the killing of al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
In a letter, the group of eight Congressmen led by
Peter Welch and Jason Chaffetz called for a shift from the
expensive nation building strategy currently underway in
Afghanistan to one modeled after the successful mission that
located and killed Osama bin Laden.
Welch is the Chief Deputy Whip of the Democratic
Party; while Chaffetz is Chairman, Oversight and Government
Reform Subcommittee on National Security, Homeland Defense and
"The success of this mission does not change the
reality that America still faces a determined and violent
adversary," the letter said.
"It does, however, require us to reexamine our policy
of nation building in Afghanistan. We believe it is no longer
the best way to defend America against terror attacks, and we
urge you to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan that are not
crucial to the immediate national security objective of
"The killing of Osama bin Laden was made possible by a
strong intelligence operation and well-trained Special Forces
units. In combating extremism, the combination of actionable
intelligence and highly mobile Special Forces has proven most
effective against an enemy that is not limited to a single
geographic location," the letter said.
Congressmen said the events in Pakistan underscore the
need for an emphasis on intelligence gathering and highly
mobile Special Forces units.
"We can no longer fight this war by the old rules.
This battle requires a nimble and agile force with a capacity
for rapid response anywhere in the world. It requires
integration and cooperation between intelligence-gathering
entities," they wrote.
"The CIA, NSA, NGIA and JSOC`s new Targeting and
Analysis Center were all instrumental in finding and tracking
Osama bin Laden. Such operations can transform the way
intelligence is gathered, analyzed, and acted upon," they
"After fighting the longest war in the history of the
United States of America, it`s time to redeploy our resources
to address our most pressing threats. It`s time to bring the
formal war in Afghanistan to an end as we adapt to the
changing demands of a different kind of war," the Congressmen
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'