Obama urges Americans to work together
Washington: President Barack Obama urged Americans on Saturday to maintain the "spirit of common cause" that arose from grieving over the Arizona shootings and use it to solve the nation`s problems.
Legislative work in Washington came to a halt this week while lawmakers and citizens from both parties mourned the victims of a gunman who went on a rampage in Arizona on January 8, killing six people and wounding 14, including Representative Gabrielle Giffords.
Obama gave a well-received speech at a memorial service for the victims on Wednesday in Arizona and he revived the theme of national unity in his weekly radio and Internet address.
The President lauded lawmakers who came together to pay tribute to Giffords and the other victims earlier in the week.
"As shrill and discordant as our politics can be at times, it was a moment that reminded us of who we really are -- and how much we depend on one another," Obama said.
"While we can`t escape our grief for those we`ve lost, we carry on now, mindful of those truths."
Obama said the country had to "carry on" out of necessity and work to create jobs, improve the economy, "shore up" the budget and bring down the deficit.
"These are challenges I believe we can meet. And I believe we can do it in a way worthy of those who sent us here to serve," Obama said.
"So as business resumes, I look forward to working together in that same spirit of common cause with members of Congress from both parties -- because before we are Democrats or Republicans, we are Americans."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH