Obama: US secures `long term` lease on Djibouti base
The United States secured long term access Monday to a military base in Djibouti that it uses to launch counter-terrorism missions, including drone strikes, in Yemen and the Horn of Africa.
US President Barack Obama and his Djibouti counterpart Ismail Omar Guelleh announced the renewed "long term lease" on Camp Lemonnier to reporters as they met at the White House.
"Camp Lemonnier is extraordinarily important to our work throughout the Horn of Africa but also throughout the region. We very much appreciate the hospitality that Djiboutians provide," Obama said.
"Overall, this is a critical facility that we maintain in Djibouti, we could not do it without the president`s cooperation, we`re grateful for him agreeing for a long term presence there," he added.
Guelleh said his East African country and the United States were linked in a "strategic partnership" to deal with "the fight against terrorism, piracy and human trafficking in our region."
The US garrison uses Lemonnier, a base for around 4,000 US and allied personnel, as a crucial staging area for assaults on suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Yemen and Shebab forces in Somalia.
Washington recently agreed to move its drone base in Djibouti from Lemonnier, which is near the country`s international airport, to a more remote location, following concerns over possible collisions between the unmanned planes and commercial aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes