Obama wants to visit Hiroshima, Nagasaki
Tokyo: US President Barack Obama said he wants to visit the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were destroyed by US nuclear bombs at the end of World War II, during his time in office. This would make him the first US leader to do so.
His tight schedule does not allow for the visit during his trip to Japan this week, Obama said in an interview on Monday with the Japanese broadcaster NHK in Washington.
On August 6, 1945, the US dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, flattening the city. About 70,000 of Hiroshima`s 350,000 residents died immediately. By late December 1945, the number of fatalities had risen to 140,000. Many more have succumbed to the after-effects since then.
Three days later, US forces exploded a second bomb over Nagasaki, about 300 km west of Hiroshima. Another 70,000 people died there.
Then-emperor Hirohito announced Japan`s capitulation on August 15, 1945.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened