Obama wants to visit Hiroshima, Nagasaki
Tokyo: US President Barack Obama said he wants to visit the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were destroyed by US nuclear bombs at the end of World War II, during his time in office. This would make him the first US leader to do so.
His tight schedule does not allow for the visit during his trip to Japan this week, Obama said in an interview on Monday with the Japanese broadcaster NHK in Washington.
On August 6, 1945, the US dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, flattening the city. About 70,000 of Hiroshima`s 350,000 residents died immediately. By late December 1945, the number of fatalities had risen to 140,000. Many more have succumbed to the after-effects since then.
Three days later, US forces exploded a second bomb over Nagasaki, about 300 km west of Hiroshima. Another 70,000 people died there.
Then-emperor Hirohito announced Japan`s capitulation on August 15, 1945.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured