Obama wants to visit Hiroshima, Nagasaki
Tokyo: US President Barack Obama said he wants to visit the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were destroyed by US nuclear bombs at the end of World War II, during his time in office. This would make him the first US leader to do so.
His tight schedule does not allow for the visit during his trip to Japan this week, Obama said in an interview on Monday with the Japanese broadcaster NHK in Washington.
On August 6, 1945, the US dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, flattening the city. About 70,000 of Hiroshima`s 350,000 residents died immediately. By late December 1945, the number of fatalities had risen to 140,000. Many more have succumbed to the after-effects since then.
Three days later, US forces exploded a second bomb over Nagasaki, about 300 km west of Hiroshima. Another 70,000 people died there.
Then-emperor Hirohito announced Japan`s capitulation on August 15, 1945.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram