‘Obama was playing golf minutes before Osama raid’
Washington: Minutes before the operation to
hunt down Osama bin Laden in Pakistan began, US President
Barack Obama was playing golf so that he could "distance
himself" in case the raid went wrong, claims a new book.
President Obama was actually playing golf until 20 minutes before the raid to kill al Qaeda chief began, claims
Chuck Pfarrer, a former SEALs, in his latest book "Seal Target
Geronimo" that hit the stands today.
Only then did he down his clubs and return to the White
House to watch what he later trumpeted as a great success of
his presidency, the Daily Mail reported quoting the book.
The book claims that the official account was riddled
with errors and that bin Laden was referred to as `Bert` and
not just `Geronimo`.
The book paints a very different picture to the official
photo released at the time which shows Obama and his advisers
huddled round a table in the White House Situation Room as
footage was beamed from a drone 15,000 ft above the al Qaeda
leader`s mansion hideout in Pakistan`s Abbottabad on May 2.
Pfarrer says Obama`s role was largely inflated and
suggests he stayed out on the golf course for so long so he
could distance himself in case it went wrong.
"If this had completely gone south, he was in a position
to disavow," he wrote.
He says the White House photographs did not show the
moment that bin Laden was killed, but the moment a helicopter
went down, which happened after the shooting.
Obama is known to be a keen golfer. He played golf four
times during his week-long family holiday on Martha`s
Pfarrer also claims that bin Laden was known as Bert to
the Seals, and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri was Ernie a
reference to the Sesame Street puppets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand