Obama won re-election after gaining critical youth vote: Study
Washington: President Barack Obama can attribute his re-election victory to capturing the youth vote in four crucial swing states, and to a staunchly progressive opinion, a new study has found.
According to a new Pew Research Center report, in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and Virginia, 61 to 66 percent of young adults voted for Obama.
In each of those states, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney captured voters aged 30 and older by 1 to 5 points.
The largest generation gap was in Florida, which has a significant elderly population, where Obama won young people 66-32 percent, compared to 47-52 percent of voters 30 and older, the Huffington Post reports.
Part of Obama’s success among youth voters was due to his campaign’s efforts to mobilize college students, the report said.
The Obama team made sure to host events on or close to college campuses and bussed college students to early-voting polls in crucial swing states like Ohio.
According to the report, among 18- to 29-year-olds, Obama was able to win Hispanics, blacks and women by double-digit margins.
The Pew found that the only sub-demographic group of 18- to 29-year-olds that Romney won was whites, with 51 percent. That group went for Obama 54 to 44 percent in 2008.
Smith said those numbers prove it would be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Republican Party to ignore young people, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch