Obama`s approval rating hits lowest at 40%
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s
approval rating this past week was recorded at 40 per cent,
the lowest of his administration so far, the latest national
opinion poll of the Gallup has said.
Obama`s job approval rating dropped to 40 per cent during
the week spanning August 8-14, the lowest weekly average of
During this period, Obama`s three-day rolling average
also hit a new low of 39 per cent for August 11-13, the first
such average below 40 per cent since he took office, though it
recovered to 41 per cent for August 12-14, Gallup said in a
"With the exception of a dramatic national or
international event, it is usually difficult to pinpoint the
causes for the short-term ups and downs in a president`s job
ratings. In the current situation, it is reasonable to assume
that several events of the last few weeks have played a part
in depressing the public`s approval of Obama," Gallup said.
It said 10 incumbent presidents have sought re-election
since World War II, and none has won a second term with final
pre-election job approval ratings below 48 per cent.
The last two presidents who lost their re-election bids
-- George W Bush and Jimmy Carter -- had job approval ratings
in the 30 per cent range in the fall of the election year.
"Thus, Obama`s challenge is not only to move his rating
back above 40 per cent, but also to push it close to or above
50 per cent," it said, adding that the crucial period for
Obama will begin after Labor Day, given the relative quiet on
the political front that should be the case before then.
Obama yesterday began a three-day bus tour through
Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?