Obama`s approval rating hits lowest at 40%
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s
approval rating this past week was recorded at 40 per cent,
the lowest of his administration so far, the latest national
opinion poll of the Gallup has said.
Obama`s job approval rating dropped to 40 per cent during
the week spanning August 8-14, the lowest weekly average of
During this period, Obama`s three-day rolling average
also hit a new low of 39 per cent for August 11-13, the first
such average below 40 per cent since he took office, though it
recovered to 41 per cent for August 12-14, Gallup said in a
"With the exception of a dramatic national or
international event, it is usually difficult to pinpoint the
causes for the short-term ups and downs in a president`s job
ratings. In the current situation, it is reasonable to assume
that several events of the last few weeks have played a part
in depressing the public`s approval of Obama," Gallup said.
It said 10 incumbent presidents have sought re-election
since World War II, and none has won a second term with final
pre-election job approval ratings below 48 per cent.
The last two presidents who lost their re-election bids
-- George W Bush and Jimmy Carter -- had job approval ratings
in the 30 per cent range in the fall of the election year.
"Thus, Obama`s challenge is not only to move his rating
back above 40 per cent, but also to push it close to or above
50 per cent," it said, adding that the crucial period for
Obama will begin after Labor Day, given the relative quiet on
the political front that should be the case before then.
Obama yesterday began a three-day bus tour through
Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'