Obama`s approval rating increases to 50 percent
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s job approval rating has increased to 50 per cent, extending his lead over his top Republican challenger Mitt Romney, a latest national opinion poll said on Tuesday.
While Obama`s approval rating climbed to 50 per cent, his disapproval rating dropped to 44 per cent in Gallup`s Daily tracking poll on Obama`s support among US voters.
Gallup said the 50 per cent approval mark is notable because all incumbent presidents since Dwight Eisenhower who were at or above 50 per cent approval at the time of the election were re-elected.
At the same time, Obama held a lead of 49-42 per cent over Romney, who is widely expected to secure his nomination soon after the Republican primaries in five states held Tuesday.
That marks a shift from last week, when Romney held an edge in Gallup tracking, the poll said.
Obama`s job approval rating has typically been in the mid-40 per cent range for the last three months, it noted.
One possible reason for Obama`s recent rise is the decline in gas prices.
Rising gas prices have often been associated with a decline in presidential approval ratings, Gallup said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani