Obama’s ex-girlfriends recall his ‘sexual warmth’
London: Former girlfriends of US President Barack Obama have opened up for the first time of his “sexual warmth” and disclosed the contents of love letters that he sent to them during his 20s, in a new biography.
Genevieve Cook and Alex McNear, who had relationships with Obama in New York in the early 1980s, gave previously unseen material on Obama to David Maraniss, a Pulitzer prize-winning author.
Letters that Obama sent to McNear and journal entries by Cook depict a serious and earnest young man struggling to come to terms with his racial identity and place in modern American society, the Telegraph reported.
In one diary entry from February 1984, Cook – a girlfriend for more than a year – noted that in their relationship “the sexual warmth is definitely there – but the rest of it has sharp edges”.
She recalled “feeling anger” at Obama, whose “warmth can be deceptive”.
Foreshadowing a criticism often levelled at the President today, she said: “Though he speaks sweet words there is also that coolness”.
Cook mentioned meeting “Barry” at a Christmas party in 1983. After drinking Bailey’s Irish Cream from the bottle, she chatted with him on an orange beanbag, before exchanging telephone numbers.
Her journal recall a 22-year-old man who wore “a comfy T-shirt depicting buxom women”, and was marked by the smells of “running sweat, Brut spray deodorant, smoking, eating raisins, sleeping, breathing”.
Cook “engaged [Mr Obama] in the deepest romantic relationship of his young life,” but they separated in 1985, Maraniss wrote.
Reflecting on the “emotional scarring” that made him hard to get close to, she wrote at the time: “I guess I hoped time would change things, and he’d let go and ‘fall in love’ with me”.
Her journal entries described a long effort to understand Obama.
“How is he so old already, at the age of 22?” she asked herself. “I have to recognise (despite play of wry and mocking smile on lips) that I find his thereness very threatening.”
In another entry, she wrote that there was “so much going on beneath the surface, out of reach,” adding that Obama was “guarded, controlled”.
Meanwhile, McNear revealed an attempt at literary criticism by the young Obama, whom she had met at Occidental University in California, where they had both been studying.
The pair spent the summer of 1982 together in New York, following Obama’s transfer to the city’s Columbia University, and continued to correspond after McNear returned to Los Angeles.
In one exchange, Obama gave a densely-written opinion on TS Eliot, on whom McNear was writing a thesis.
“There’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism. Eliot is of this type,” he wrote.
McNear recalled to Maraniss - whose book is excerpted in the new issue of Vanity Fair magazine - that Obama was “obsessed with the concept of choice”, musing: “Did he have real choices in his life? Did he have free will?”
As the multiracial product of an international upbringing, he complained of being “caught without a class, a structure, or tradition to support me” and envying the clearly defined lives of Pakistani friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'