Obamas host Halloween at the White House
Washington: Ahead of the crucial congressional polls, US President Barack Obama took a light-hearted break from politics when he welcomed students and children of military families to celebrate Halloween at the White House.
Joined by his wife, Michelle, the president handed out treats to the gaggles of costumed children gathered on the lawn to celebrate Halloween yesterday. The trick-or-treaters -- ranging in age from 6 to 14 -- were from schools in the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia areas, the White House said.
They were greeted by a brass band and by adults dressed up as quintessential Halloween characters like Dracula and Frankenstein. Participants were given M&M`s, a sweet dough butter cookie and dried fruit, CNN reported.
The event was a light-hearted break for Obama, who has been crisscrossing the country in full campaign mode ahead of the congressional elections on November 2.
At stake are all 435 House seats and 37 of the 100 Senate seats, along with almost 40 gubernatorial races.
Obama`s Democratic party is poised to lose seats in both chambers, and perhaps its House majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened