Obama`s image an issue in French presidential race
Paris: A photo of Barack Obama in a campaign video for French President Nicolas Sarkozy is upsetting the team of Sarkozy`s rival, Socialist Francois Hollande.
Hollande`s campaign chief Pierre Moscovici said today he was surprised that the photo of Obama and Sarkozy aired in the video broadcast on TV and called the US Embassy to discuss the matter.
Another campaign staffer said Hollande`s aides are furious, fearing the image suggests that Obama, who is massively popular in France, is taking sides in the French presidential race.
US Embassy spokesman Paul Patin said "the US government does not support any candidate."
Sarkozy`s campaign website says he is "respected and supported" by Obama, Britain`s David Cameron and Germany`s Angela Merkel.
Hollande leads Sarkozy in polls ahead of Sunday`s election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!