Obama`s image an issue in French presidential race
Paris: A photo of Barack Obama in a campaign video for French President Nicolas Sarkozy is upsetting the team of Sarkozy`s rival, Socialist Francois Hollande.
Hollande`s campaign chief Pierre Moscovici said today he was surprised that the photo of Obama and Sarkozy aired in the video broadcast on TV and called the US Embassy to discuss the matter.
Another campaign staffer said Hollande`s aides are furious, fearing the image suggests that Obama, who is massively popular in France, is taking sides in the French presidential race.
US Embassy spokesman Paul Patin said "the US government does not support any candidate."
Sarkozy`s campaign website says he is "respected and supported" by Obama, Britain`s David Cameron and Germany`s Angela Merkel.
Hollande leads Sarkozy in polls ahead of Sunday`s election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city