Obama`s job approval rating dips to 44%
Washington: The job approval rating of US President Barack Obama has dipped further to a new low of 44 per cent for the week of August 9 to 15, the latest Gallup poll has said.
The drop in Obama`s weekly average was driven by particularly low ratings near the end of the week, with record-low three-day rolling averages of 42 per cent for August 12-14 and August 13-15 polling, it said.
"Prior to this weekend, Obama`s three-day low had been
44 percent. Additionally, Obama`s disapproval rating reached
50 per cent for the first time in the August 13-15 average,"
Obama visited Florida`s Gulf Coast over the weekend as
part of a vacation with his family, while his comments about the construction of a mosque near ground zero in New York City
became a much-debated topic in the news media and on the Internet.
"As is usually the case, the impact of these or other
news events on the President`s approval ratings is difficult
to disentangle," it said.
Gallup said Obama`s ratings in the low 40 per cent
range are not unusual in historical context.
All presidents since Lyndon Johnson have suffered
ratings below 40 per cent at points in their presidencies,
with several falling below 30 per cent.
Presidents Carter, Reagan and Clinton were -- like
Obama -- in the low 40 per cent range during August of the
second year of their presidencies.
President George Bush left office in January 2009 with
a 34 per cent approval rating, Gallup said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30