Obama`s `lame duck period` set in earlier than expected: Forbes
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Washington: The World`s Most Powerful People 2013 list released by the Forbes hinted at the `shifting individual power dynamics` as US President Barack Obama was outdone by Russian leader Vladimir Putin who notched the number one position on the list,, riding high on Syria manoeuver and Edward Snowden issue.
The Most Powerful`s title went to Putin as he "solidified his control over Russia" whereas the chaos created by the US government shutdown and Edward Snowden leaks revealing NSA surveillance programmes pushed Obama into a "lame duck period" that set in earlier than ususual for a two-term president, said a post written by the Forbes staff Caroline Howard.
The post further spoke about what it referred to as "the chess match over Syria and NSA leaks"and hinted how the Russian President outshone Obama when he made Syria agree to a chemcial weapons` dismantling plan and averted a planned strike by US missiles.
The Forbes list is a compilation of top 72 people from around the world and four factors were kept in mind while deciding on the list: how many people they have power over; the financial resources they control; if they have influence in more than one sphere; and how actively they wield their power to change the world, reported the Forbes.
The list of the Top ten people on the Most Powerful list is as below:
1)Vladimir Putin, Russian President
2) Barack Obama, US President
3) Xi Jinping, Chinese President
4) Pope Francis, Roman Catholic Church
5) Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
6) Bill Gates, co-chair, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
7) Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve chairman
8) Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud
9) Mario Draghi, European Central Bank president
10) Michael Duke, Wal-Mart CEO
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers