Obama`s `lame duck period` set in earlier than expected: Forbes
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Washington: The World`s Most Powerful People 2013 list released by the Forbes hinted at the `shifting individual power dynamics` as US President Barack Obama was outdone by Russian leader Vladimir Putin who notched the number one position on the list,, riding high on Syria manoeuver and Edward Snowden issue.
The Most Powerful`s title went to Putin as he "solidified his control over Russia" whereas the chaos created by the US government shutdown and Edward Snowden leaks revealing NSA surveillance programmes pushed Obama into a "lame duck period" that set in earlier than ususual for a two-term president, said a post written by the Forbes staff Caroline Howard.
The post further spoke about what it referred to as "the chess match over Syria and NSA leaks"and hinted how the Russian President outshone Obama when he made Syria agree to a chemcial weapons` dismantling plan and averted a planned strike by US missiles.
The Forbes list is a compilation of top 72 people from around the world and four factors were kept in mind while deciding on the list: how many people they have power over; the financial resources they control; if they have influence in more than one sphere; and how actively they wield their power to change the world, reported the Forbes.
The list of the Top ten people on the Most Powerful list is as below:
1)Vladimir Putin, Russian President
2) Barack Obama, US President
3) Xi Jinping, Chinese President
4) Pope Francis, Roman Catholic Church
5) Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
6) Bill Gates, co-chair, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
7) Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve chairman
8) Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud
9) Mario Draghi, European Central Bank president
10) Michael Duke, Wal-Mart CEO
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains taken to Rajaji Hall for people to pay last respects
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what