Obama`s limo breaks down in Israel
Jerusalem: Barack Obama`s heavily armoured limousine, dubbed `The Beast`, broke down in Israel even before the US President landed as it was apparently refuelled using petrol instead of diesel.
The US Secret Service was forced to fly another vehicle in from Jordan yesterday where it was waiting for the US leader, who will travel to the neighbouring country on Friday.
`The Beast` failed to start, and was towed here but Obama, who landed at Ben-Gurion International airport yesterday afternoon, was not in the country at the time the vehicle broke down, Fox News reported.
A second presidential limo was brought to transport Obama from the airport.
"We experienced mechanical trouble with one of the cars," Edwin Donovan, a spokesman for the Secret Service was quoted by the Jerusalem Post as saying. "We don`t know the cause".
Donovan couldn`t confirm reports the limo was refuelled using petrol rather than diesel.
The presidential limousine is a specially built Cadillac that`s estimated to weigh 8 tonnes.
Although the Secret Service does not disclose details about the vehicle, it reportedly features several inches of armour and bulletproof glass, special suspension to absorb blasts and doors and windows that hermetically sealed in the event of a gas attack.
Most of the specifications of `The Beast` are classified as top secret, including whether or not it has one of those stickers on the fuel filler that says "diesel fuel only".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'