Obama’s pot-smoking days with Choom Gang revealed
London: US President Barack Obama had reportedly smoked marijuana in his youth as a secondary school pupil in Honolulu, Hawaii, a new biography revealed.
In the late 1970s, Obama is said to have been a member of the “Choom Gang”, a group of boys who played basketball and choomed, or smoked dope.
“Barry Obama was known for starting a few pot-smoking trends,” the Telegraph quoted David Maraniss, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author as saying.
“The first was called ‘TA,’ short for ‘total absorption’,” he said.
Obama’s favoured technique is described as “the antithesis” to Clinton’s eyebrow-raising claim to have barely participated in – and certainly not enjoyed – smoking the drug as a Rhodes scholar at University College from 1968 to 1970.
Any Choom Gang members caught daring to exhale before absorption was total “were assessed a penalty” and faced being “skipped the next time the joint came around”, according to ‘Barack Obama: The Story’.
“When a joint was making the rounds, he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted ‘Intercepted!,’ and took an extra hit,” Maraniss said.
He also reportedly popularised “roof hits” after smoking in cars with the windows closed: “When the pot was gone, they tilted their heads back and sucked in the last bit of smoke from the ceiling.”
Former members recalled to Maraniss that the gang’s favoured vehicle was a “Volkswagen bus, also known as the Choomwagon”, that belonged to fellow member Mark Bendix.
The disclosures are unlikely to harm Obama politically. In addition to a relaxation in attitudes towards soft drugs since Clinton’s confession 20 years ago, voters knew when they elected him in 2008 that Obama had also tried cocaine while a university student in New York.
Recalling personal struggles from that time in his 1995 memoir, ‘Dreams From My Father’, Obama wrote: “Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it”. He added that he had never tried heroin.
Obama appears to have been remarkably indiscreet about his activities. In his high school yearbook entry, he thanked the “Choom Gang, and Ray for all the good times”.
Maraniss writes that Ray, a long-haired hippie who worked in a pizza parlour, was the group’s drug-dealer.
“Many years later, they learned that he had been killed with a ball-peen hammer by a scorned gay lover,” according to the book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony