Obamas to host ‘Yoga Garden’ for White House Easter Egg Roll
Washington: Despite uproar by Californian parents against yoga practises in schools, US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama ‘s residence White House would keep up the practice of hosting a “Yoga Garden” as a part of its traditional Ester Egg Roll festivities on Monday.
More than 35,000 people will descend on the South Lawn of White House for 135th annual Easter Egg Roll celebrations of which Yoga Garden is a key part.
This year`s Easter celebrations at the White House is focused on promoting health and wellness with the theme, `Be Healthy, Be Active, Be You!`
“Come enjoy a session of yoga from professional instructors,” reads the announcement by the White House.
The event will feature live music, sports courts, cooking stations, storytelling and, of course, Easter egg rolling.
In line with Michelle Obama’s fitness mantra of keeping obesity away from American citizens, yoga is being given much importance with yoga programs being mobilised in schools across America.
But yoga programs in schools have met with protests by some parents who fear religious indoctrination saying that Yoga is much more than just physical fitness.
A group of parents in California have filed a lawsuit over Encinitas Union School District for "civil rights violations resulting from its inherently and pervasively religious Ashtanga yoga program."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest