Obama`s top 11 bureaucrats all Oxford alumni: Study
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s inner circle has 11 top bureaucrats who attended England`s most prestigious Oxford University, a new study has revealed.
According to the National Journal, out of the 250 officials working for Obama, eleven have their higher degrees from UK while none of the UK Cabinet members have degrees from America, The New York Daily News reports.
The review indicated that among the top brass in the Obama administration, more have graduate degrees from England`s Oxford University than from public graduate schools in the US.
American Secretary of the Rhodes Trust that runs the Rhodes Scholarship, Elliot Gerson, said that the institute has been sending Americans to Oxford since 1904 and added that he isn`t surprised by the preponderance of Oxford grads among American politicians but said `it`s a mistake to say they represent a socioeconomic elite`.
Gerson said that with the Rhodes scholarship 32 Americans are sent to study at Oxford each year and generous scholarships allow Americans the chance to experience the historic school.
However, none of Prime Minister David Cameron`s 22 ministers have degrees from an American institution, though two top officials did try out schools in the US.
The report said that Gerson credited the low percentage of American degrees among British politicians to the smaller number of scholarships and fellowships available to British students.
He said that the difference in cost is considerable between Oxford and Cambridge, both public schools, and the private Ivy League schools in the US, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day