Obama`s uncle granted hardship driving licence
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s uncle
has received a hardship driver`s licence, just a week after he
lost his regular licence for 45 days in a drunken-driving
Onyango Obama, 67, was granted a hardship driver`s
licence by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles,
making it perfectly legal for him to drive in Massachusetts.
He was given the licence after convincing a hearing
officer that life without wheels would have posed an undue
hardship on his livelihood as a liquor-store manager.
Obama bolstered his case with a letter from his employer
as well as proof that he had enrolled in an alcohol-treatment
"He met all of the criteria," RMV spokeswoman Sara Lavoie
was quoted as saying by Boston Herald.
Of the state`s decision to award Obama a licence even
though the US government considers him an illegal alien,
Lavoie would only say, "Registry business is based on Registry
The licence allows Obama to drive from noon to midnight.
Obama, a Kenyan national, lost his licence last week
after admitting in court that Framingham police had sufficient
evidence to convict him in an August drunken-driving bust.
Obama is the half-brother of President Barack Obama`s
late father, and the older brother of Zeituni Onyango, who was
granted asylum in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police