Obama`s uncle granted hardship driving licence
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s uncle
has received a hardship driver`s licence, just a week after he
lost his regular licence for 45 days in a drunken-driving
Onyango Obama, 67, was granted a hardship driver`s
licence by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles,
making it perfectly legal for him to drive in Massachusetts.
He was given the licence after convincing a hearing
officer that life without wheels would have posed an undue
hardship on his livelihood as a liquor-store manager.
Obama bolstered his case with a letter from his employer
as well as proof that he had enrolled in an alcohol-treatment
"He met all of the criteria," RMV spokeswoman Sara Lavoie
was quoted as saying by Boston Herald.
Of the state`s decision to award Obama a licence even
though the US government considers him an illegal alien,
Lavoie would only say, "Registry business is based on Registry
The licence allows Obama to drive from noon to midnight.
Obama, a Kenyan national, lost his licence last week
after admitting in court that Framingham police had sufficient
evidence to convict him in an August drunken-driving bust.
Obama is the half-brother of President Barack Obama`s
late father, and the older brother of Zeituni Onyango, who was
granted asylum in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor