Occupy London protesters vacate Barbican building
London: Up to twenty anti-capitalist
protesters of the `Occupy London` movement vacated a building
in the city in less than a day after occupying it, saying they
had moved out to avoid putting the jobs at risk of those
`Occupy London` activists had yesterday entered the
abandoned nine-storey Roman House building, earlier used by
finance companies in the Barbican arts and conference centre
in the early hours.
Demonstrators ended their occupation of the building in
the Barbican of their own accord, City Of London Police told
Naomi Colvin, of the group, said they had moved out to
avoid putting the jobs at risk of those working on Roman
House, and not because of safety concerns.
"Contractors employed by Berkeley Homes contacted us
directly and asked us to reconsider," Colvin said.
"While they fully supported our cause they had expressed
concerns about their project being mothballed due to our
presence on the site," she added.
Colvin told BBC that while most residents in the area had
welcomed the protesters there were "mixed feelings" about
"This has galvanised our group and we fully intend to
resume our protests on Monday in a public area near the
According to the BBC, Berkeley Homes described the
group`s actions at Roman House as "misguided".
"It is not safe for public use, there are holes in the
floors and we are in the early stages of asbestos removal," a
He said the firm had taken legal advice because of
concerns for the safety of the group.
The protesters` brief occupation comes as `Occupy London`
prepares to appeal this week a London High Court move to
approve a bid by authorities to evict members its members from
outside Saint Paul`s Cathedral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about