Occupy London protesters vacate Barbican building
London: Up to twenty anti-capitalist
protesters of the `Occupy London` movement vacated a building
in the city in less than a day after occupying it, saying they
had moved out to avoid putting the jobs at risk of those
`Occupy London` activists had yesterday entered the
abandoned nine-storey Roman House building, earlier used by
finance companies in the Barbican arts and conference centre
in the early hours.
Demonstrators ended their occupation of the building in
the Barbican of their own accord, City Of London Police told
Naomi Colvin, of the group, said they had moved out to
avoid putting the jobs at risk of those working on Roman
House, and not because of safety concerns.
"Contractors employed by Berkeley Homes contacted us
directly and asked us to reconsider," Colvin said.
"While they fully supported our cause they had expressed
concerns about their project being mothballed due to our
presence on the site," she added.
Colvin told BBC that while most residents in the area had
welcomed the protesters there were "mixed feelings" about
"This has galvanised our group and we fully intend to
resume our protests on Monday in a public area near the
According to the BBC, Berkeley Homes described the
group`s actions at Roman House as "misguided".
"It is not safe for public use, there are holes in the
floors and we are in the early stages of asbestos removal," a
He said the firm had taken legal advice because of
concerns for the safety of the group.
The protesters` brief occupation comes as `Occupy London`
prepares to appeal this week a London High Court move to
approve a bid by authorities to evict members its members from
outside Saint Paul`s Cathedral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried