`Occupying Wall Street will topple capitalism`
Tehran: Demonstrations against Wall Street will "topple Western capitalism", Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday.
"The anti Wall Street protests are very important and their significance is being minimised by American authorities and media, but the people at this point are able to see the corruption of the capitalist system," said Iran`s highest authority during a televised speech in Kermashah in the country`s west.
Khamenei, 72, referred to the Occupy Wall Street activists` motto "We are the 99 percent" by criticising the US-led military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.
"The one percent (who are ruling America) launched the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the remaining 99 percent have to suffer the deaths and pay for it," he said.
Occupy Wall Street demonstrations began in early September in New York`s financial district in Lower Manhattan and have since spread to other American cities. Protesters contend that the US government is coddling the wealthy at the expense of the majority of the population.
Critics like New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg contend the protesters are costing the city money and jobs, while others have called them unpatriotic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM