Officer acted `out of line` in detaining US soldiers: Iraq PM
Washington: The Iraqi officer who ordered the detention of US soldiers last week after they killed three Iraqis while pursuing insurgents acted in error and was "out of line”, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said.
The officer "did not understand the agreement" governing US military activities since American combat troops withdrew from Iraqi cities last month, Maliki said in an interview.
The agreement "clearly states that American forces have the right to defend themselves, and that`s what they did," the Prime Minister was quoted as saying by `The Washington Post`.
Four Iraqis, including two children, were also injured when US forces returned fire and raided nearby houses after insurgents attacked their convoy in the Baghdad suburb of Abu Ghraib on Tuesday.
Maliki, who was here on his week-long US visit, said he had telephoned Baghdad and "made clear that they understand that this demand of handing over the people who killed the Iraqis was wrong."
The last week incident marked a potential escalation of tensions between both countries` forces as they struggle with differing interpretations of the six-month-old military agreement.
The accord, implemented since January, turns over all security responsibility to the Iraqi forces, and it provides for a phased US withdrawal, including last month`s pullout from urban areas and the complete departure of American forces by the end of 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know