Cairo: Some Egyptian officials have been banned from leaving the country without permission from the state prosecutor or the armed forces, a security source said on Saturday.
"The necessary procedures were taken to implement these instructions that aim at preventing attempts by some figures who held responsible positions during the past period from escaping the country so not to be questioned," the source at Cairo airport said.
"This includes ex-ministers, top officials and heads of companies."
Public scrutiny of officials and businessmen became an issue after January 25 when tens of thousands of protesters first took to the streets seeking an end to the rule of President Hosni Mubarak. They demanded government officials and some businessmen linked to his party be tried on charges of corruption.
Last week, Egypt imposed a travel ban on three ex-ministers and a former ruling party official and froze their assets. The officials were accused with wasting public money and using their posts for personal gain.
First Published: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 11:20