Ohio barn fire kills two people, 43 horses
Lebanon: A blaze ripped through a horse barn at county fairgrounds in the US state of Ohio, leaving two trainers and 43 horses dead, state officials said.
By the time firefighters arrived at the Warren County
Fairgrounds, about 40 kilometres northeast of Cincinnati, the
barn roof had already collapsed, according to Lebanon Fire
Department Captain Krista Wyatt yesterday.
Dozens of firefighters had fought the flames that
burned for hours in the sprawling barn, which is about the
size of a football field, close to the Lebanon Raceway track.
The deadly blaze, which was reported around 1000 GMT,
was still under investigation and its specific origin will not
be released until Monday, State Fire Marshal Division
spokesman Shane Cartmill told the Dayton Daily News.
Fire investigators said they have ruled out criminal
intent, while the fire marshal noted it could take weeks
before officials would determine the cause.
Track officials canceled races for the day.
Shocked horse owners watched heavy machinery peel back
the collapsed structure`s metal roof before firefighters
sifted through the debris and put out the remains of the fire.
"It`s terrible," Mary Coven, who owns horses stabled
in one of the fairgrounds` 19 barns, told the newspaper.
Although coroner officials could not confirm the
identities of two badly burned human bodies pulled from the
barn, horse owners told the Dayton Daily News that trainers
Ronnie Williams and James "Turtle" Edwards had been in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday