Ohio barn fire kills two people, 43 horses
Lebanon: A blaze ripped through a horse barn at county fairgrounds in the US state of Ohio, leaving two trainers and 43 horses dead, state officials said.
By the time firefighters arrived at the Warren County
Fairgrounds, about 40 kilometres northeast of Cincinnati, the
barn roof had already collapsed, according to Lebanon Fire
Department Captain Krista Wyatt yesterday.
Dozens of firefighters had fought the flames that
burned for hours in the sprawling barn, which is about the
size of a football field, close to the Lebanon Raceway track.
The deadly blaze, which was reported around 1000 GMT,
was still under investigation and its specific origin will not
be released until Monday, State Fire Marshal Division
spokesman Shane Cartmill told the Dayton Daily News.
Fire investigators said they have ruled out criminal
intent, while the fire marshal noted it could take weeks
before officials would determine the cause.
Track officials canceled races for the day.
Shocked horse owners watched heavy machinery peel back
the collapsed structure`s metal roof before firefighters
sifted through the debris and put out the remains of the fire.
"It`s terrible," Mary Coven, who owns horses stabled
in one of the fairgrounds` 19 barns, told the newspaper.
Although coroner officials could not confirm the
identities of two badly burned human bodies pulled from the
barn, horse owners told the Dayton Daily News that trainers
Ronnie Williams and James "Turtle" Edwards had been in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!