Ohio State: Nothing found in univ bomb threat
Columbus: Ohio State University security officials say nothing has turned up in the investigation of bomb threats that led to the evacuation of four buildings.
University director of public safety Vernon Baisden (BAYZ`-dehn) said Tuesday morning that the main library and three laboratory buildings would remain closed at least until 5 p m He said the search, which includes the use of bomb-sniffing dogs, would continue.
Baisden says all other classes and activities on campus are going on as scheduled.
FBI spokesman Michael Brooks in Cincinnati says a threat was sent to the bureau`s Washington headquarters. The source of the threat hasn`t been identified.
Campus police said they were alerted to the threats at 8:19 a.m. Tuesday.
Ohio State University evacuated four buildings, including the main library, Tuesday morning because of bomb threats e-mailed to the FBI.
FBI spokesman Michael Brooks in Cincinnati said a threat was sent to the bureau`s Washington headquarters. Campus police said they were alerted at 8:19 a.m. Tuesday that the threats involved the William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library and three laboratory buildings.
Authorities did not identify the source of the bomb threats.
All were evacuated and closed as investigators went through them with bomb-sniffing dogs, and authorities also closed off three streets, while several helicopters circled overhead. Students and faculty were warned by text-message alerts and online and phone messages to stay clear of the buildings until 5 p.m. A university telephone update at 11 a.m. stated that classes were expected to resume as scheduled at 5. No other details were available immediately.
The Columbus Fire Department bomb squad, school security and FBI were at the scene.
Classes at the university`s other academic buildings were held as scheduled.
Ohio State is among the nation`s largest universities with more than 56,000 students enrolled on its Columbus campus.
Besides the library, which is along the campus green area called The Oval, buildings closed were McPherson Chemical Lab, which houses chemistry and astronomy departments, Smith Laboratory, which houses engineering experiments and anthropology, and Scott Laboratory, a mechanical engineering building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report