Ohio State: Nothing found in univ bomb threat
Columbus: Ohio State University security officials say nothing has turned up in the investigation of bomb threats that led to the evacuation of four buildings.
University director of public safety Vernon Baisden (BAYZ`-dehn) said Tuesday morning that the main library and three laboratory buildings would remain closed at least until 5 p m He said the search, which includes the use of bomb-sniffing dogs, would continue.
Baisden says all other classes and activities on campus are going on as scheduled.
FBI spokesman Michael Brooks in Cincinnati says a threat was sent to the bureau`s Washington headquarters. The source of the threat hasn`t been identified.
Campus police said they were alerted to the threats at 8:19 a.m. Tuesday.
Ohio State University evacuated four buildings, including the main library, Tuesday morning because of bomb threats e-mailed to the FBI.
FBI spokesman Michael Brooks in Cincinnati said a threat was sent to the bureau`s Washington headquarters. Campus police said they were alerted at 8:19 a.m. Tuesday that the threats involved the William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library and three laboratory buildings.
Authorities did not identify the source of the bomb threats.
All were evacuated and closed as investigators went through them with bomb-sniffing dogs, and authorities also closed off three streets, while several helicopters circled overhead. Students and faculty were warned by text-message alerts and online and phone messages to stay clear of the buildings until 5 p.m. A university telephone update at 11 a.m. stated that classes were expected to resume as scheduled at 5. No other details were available immediately.
The Columbus Fire Department bomb squad, school security and FBI were at the scene.
Classes at the university`s other academic buildings were held as scheduled.
Ohio State is among the nation`s largest universities with more than 56,000 students enrolled on its Columbus campus.
Besides the library, which is along the campus green area called The Oval, buildings closed were McPherson Chemical Lab, which houses chemistry and astronomy departments, Smith Laboratory, which houses engineering experiments and anthropology, and Scott Laboratory, a mechanical engineering building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video