Oil rig explodes off Louisiana coast, 11 missing
New Orleans: An explosion rocked an offshore oil drilling platform, sending a column of fire into the sky and touching off a frantic search at sea on Wednesday for 11 missing workers.
Most of the 126 workers on the rig Deepwater Horizon escaped safely after the explosion about 10 pm on Tuesday, the Coast Guard said. Three were critically injured.
The rig, more than 50 miles southeast of Venice on Louisiana`s tip, was still burning on Wednesday afternoon. It was tilting about 10 degrees. There was no estimate of when the flames might be out.
Helicopters and boats searched the Gulf of Mexico for any sign of the workers who had not been accounted for.
"We`re hoping everyone`s in a life raft," Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O`Berry said.
The Coast Guard said there were 17 workers evacuated by air and sea on Wednesday morning but not all required hospital stays. Three were in critical condition, said Rear Adm Mary Landry.
The other 98 workers were being brought in by boat and were expected ashore Wednesday evening.
When the explosion happened, the rig was drilling but was not in production, according to Greg Panagos, spokesman for its owner, Transocean Ltd in Houston. The rig was under contract to BP PLC. BP spokesman Darren Beaudo said all BP personnel were safe but he didn`t know how many BP workers had been on the rig.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble