Oil spilled into Yellowstone River in US
Washington: An oil pipeline in northwestern US state Montana has ruptured and spilled crude oil into the Yellowstone River, a key tourist attraction in the region that runs through a famed national park, the
pipeline operator has acknowledged.
ExxonMobil Pipeline Company yesterday said the leak
developed on Friday on the section of the pipeline that runs
from Silver Tip to Billings, both in Montana.
The pipeline has been shut down and the segment where
the release occurred has been isolated, the company said in a
The amount of oil released into the river remains
"We recognise the seriousness of this incident and are
working hard to address it," the company said in a statement.
"Our principal focus is on protecting the safety and health of
the public and our employees."
ExxonMobil also promised "a thorough investigation" of
Considered one of the most scenic Western US rivers,
the Yellowstone River starts in northwestern Wyoming and flows
northward through Yellowstone National Park, feeding
Yellowstone Lake and creating famous Yellowstone Falls.
It is one of the principal tributaries of the upper
Although the spill lies downstream from Yellowstone
National Park, the river is seen as a major tourist attraction
along all of its length.
Officials with the Environmental Protection Agency
were expected to arrive at the scene of the spill early today,
The New York Times reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!