Oil tanker crashes into buildings, kills 21 in Nigeria
Abuja: A Nigerian policeman was among 21 people killed on Thursday, when an oil tanker crashed into buildings in the country`s northern state of Niger, leaving several others injured.
The accident which happened in Kudu village of the oil rich African nation also resulted in burning of several houses.
Eyewitness accounts say the policeman died as he tried to rescue the victims of the resultant inferno while the injured were taken to local clinics for treatment.
The Niger State police spokesman, Pius Edobo confirmed the incident but said, "The Command was not aware of the death of one of its officers but promised to find out."
Meanwhile, a mass burial was organized for the deceased persons at Kudu village by the local government council of Mokwa.
Irked by the development, the village head of Kudu, Alhassan Kudu called on the Nigerian government to construct speed bumps across the road, especially around the market site where the accident occurred, stressing that this would check reckless driving and over speeding on the road.
Early July, at least 95 people, including women and children, were killed when an overturned oil tanker in country`s southern Rivers state exploded as people tried to scoop up fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!
- Nationwide frenzy as ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth arrives in style
- This is what Zakir Naik thinks about Narendra Modi, Islamic State and jihad