Oklahoma City faces second deadly tornado in 13 years
Washington: A devastating tornado in the Oklahoma City suburbs in southcentral US, that has killed at least 91 people, was second only to one in May 1999 in its fury.
The twister 13 years ago, rated a maximum EF5 on the Fujita Tornado Scale, killed 36 people and smashed some of the same communities, according to CNN.
On May 3, 1999, a total of 74 tornadoes pummelled Kansas and Oklahoma, it said citing the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The states counted a total of 46 dead. Thirty-six died in Oklahoma City. The strongest tornado tracked for nearly an hour and a half along a 38-mile path from Chickasha through south Oklahoma City and the suburbs of Bridge Creek, Newcastle, Moore, Midwest City and Del City in Oklahoma state, a major producer of oil, natural gas and agriculture.
Monday`s tornado in Oklahoma city with a preliminary rating of at least EF4, also struck Moore and Newcastle.
According to the National Weather Service`s Storm Prediction Centre, the 1999 Oklahoma City twister was among the costliest in US history, with damage totalling at $1 billion.
Moore is located between Oklahoma City and Norman -- home to the University of Oklahoma -- on the south side of the metropolitan area.
The second deadliest tornado in the Oklahoma City area occurred on June 12, 1942, with 35 residents killed, according to the National Weather Service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez