Oklahoma voters ban shariah law
Washington: The central US state of Oklahoma is to become the first state in the US to ban Islamic sharia law.
That`s the result of a voter initiative in the state that passed by a heavy majority in the midterm election Tuesday night.
State Question 755 amends the Oklahoma constitution to forbid courts in Oklahoma from considering sharia law or international law in reaching their decisions. With more than 60 percent of precincts counted, more than 70 percent of voters had approved the measure, according to the Secretary of State`s website.
The measure was proposed by Republican State Representative Rex Duncan, who said he was inspired to propose the constitutional amendment even though there have been no cases in Oklahoma in which judges had relied on international or sharia law.
"I would describe this as a pre-emptive strike," he said. "We don`t want to let it get a toe-hold."
Local Muslims said it was an example of anti-Muslim bigotry.
"There`s no threat of sharia law coming to Oklahoma and America, period," Saad Mohammed of the Islamic Society of Greater Oklahoma City said. "It`s just a scare tactic."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof