Oklahoma voters ban shariah law
Washington: The central US state of Oklahoma is to become the first state in the US to ban Islamic sharia law.
That`s the result of a voter initiative in the state that passed by a heavy majority in the midterm election Tuesday night.
State Question 755 amends the Oklahoma constitution to forbid courts in Oklahoma from considering sharia law or international law in reaching their decisions. With more than 60 percent of precincts counted, more than 70 percent of voters had approved the measure, according to the Secretary of State`s website.
The measure was proposed by Republican State Representative Rex Duncan, who said he was inspired to propose the constitutional amendment even though there have been no cases in Oklahoma in which judges had relied on international or sharia law.
"I would describe this as a pre-emptive strike," he said. "We don`t want to let it get a toe-hold."
Local Muslims said it was an example of anti-Muslim bigotry.
"There`s no threat of sharia law coming to Oklahoma and America, period," Saad Mohammed of the Islamic Society of Greater Oklahoma City said. "It`s just a scare tactic."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone