Olmert acquitted; Israel may re-examine bribery case
Jerusalem: Israeli Deputy Attorney-General said on Wednesday that his office will likely address the impact of Tuesday`s court acquittals of former prime minister Ehud Olmert on his current "Holyland" corruption trial.
On Tuesday, a Jerusalem court acquitted Olmert in two concurrent corruption trials, while finding him guilty of improprieties in a third.
But Olmert`s attorney demanded to close the case "because there is no evidence Olmert received bribes, and the court knew it”, in remarks to Army radio.
In the Holyland case, Olmert stands indicted of receiving bribes from real estate developers in return for expediting expanded building permits for an upscale residential project in Jerusalem.
Another 15 people, among them former Jerusalem mayor and senior municipal officials, have been indicted a slew of corruption charges in the affair.
"Whoever is handling the Holyland case will examine whether the verdict handed down yesterday (to Ehud Olmert) has ramifications on the Holyland trial. And if it does, the case must be re-examined," Deputy Attorney-General Ram Nizri told Army radio in an interview.
Meanwhile, a day earlier, State Attorney Moshe Lador, defended his decision to indict Olmert, asserting: "The law requires us to file an indictment when there is evidence indicating a reasonable chance of conviction."
Olmert told reporters on Wednesday morning: "I sleep well every night. When a person knows the truth, he sleeps well even if there is a ruckus around him."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!