Olmert acquitted; Israel may re-examine bribery case
Jerusalem: Israeli Deputy Attorney-General said on Wednesday that his office will likely address the impact of Tuesday`s court acquittals of former prime minister Ehud Olmert on his current "Holyland" corruption trial.
On Tuesday, a Jerusalem court acquitted Olmert in two concurrent corruption trials, while finding him guilty of improprieties in a third.
But Olmert`s attorney demanded to close the case "because there is no evidence Olmert received bribes, and the court knew it”, in remarks to Army radio.
In the Holyland case, Olmert stands indicted of receiving bribes from real estate developers in return for expediting expanded building permits for an upscale residential project in Jerusalem.
Another 15 people, among them former Jerusalem mayor and senior municipal officials, have been indicted a slew of corruption charges in the affair.
"Whoever is handling the Holyland case will examine whether the verdict handed down yesterday (to Ehud Olmert) has ramifications on the Holyland trial. And if it does, the case must be re-examined," Deputy Attorney-General Ram Nizri told Army radio in an interview.
Meanwhile, a day earlier, State Attorney Moshe Lador, defended his decision to indict Olmert, asserting: "The law requires us to file an indictment when there is evidence indicating a reasonable chance of conviction."
Olmert told reporters on Wednesday morning: "I sleep well every night. When a person knows the truth, he sleeps well even if there is a ruckus around him."
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today