Olympics pose challenge to UK spies: Panel
London: Britain`s intelligence and security committee says the country`s spy agencies are under strain as they face a critical challenge from the London Olympics.
The panel of nine lawmakers said on Thursday in its annual report that domestic spy service MI5 had come under "significant pressure" as it attempts to neutralise threats from al Qaeda linked groups or Irish Republican dissidents and take on a key role in security checks for Olympic accreditations.
Chairman Malcolm Rifkind says the committee believes al Qaeda and affiliates continue to threaten Britain.
The panel also says Britain`s spies should have better predicted the spread of unrest that unfolded during the Arab Spring.
Rifkind says a failure to foresee the extent of the uprisings "presented a real challenge to the intelligence community which had to reprioritise quickly”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Modi govt will be known for fulfilling promises: LK Advani
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns