Olympics: UK arresting `marginal` terror suspects
London: British police is arresting ``marginal`` terror suspects in a bid to ``clear the decks`` ahead of the Olympics, the terrorism watchdog has said.
According to The Telegraph, David Anderson, the independent reviewer of terror legislation, said the Games are a ``major target`` for terrorists, and police is intervening in cases than they would normally do.
Anderson said: "The Olympics are potentially a major target and you are seeing the police, perhaps in a marginal case what they might do is decide to intervene a little bit earlier."
Anderson`s comments follow a series of arrests by counter-terrorism officers in recent weeks, the report said.
West Midlands Police had arrested seven men after guns and a rudimentary improvised device were found hidden in a car.
The vehicle had been stopped by chance by police for having no insurance, but the discovery was not made until it had been impounded.
It raised the suspicion that a group was planning a plot to carry out attacks.
It has also emerged that a suspected al Qaeda terrorist passed through the Olympic Park on five separate occasions, despite being banned from doing so.
The 24-year-old, who can only be referred to as CF, was arrested for breaching the terms of his an order under the Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act, referred to as a ``Tpim``.
Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper said the multiple breaches "raise very serious questions about the Home Secretary`s judgment in downgrading counter terror powers in Olympic year against expert advice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why