Olympics: UK arresting `marginal` terror suspects
London: British police is arresting ``marginal`` terror suspects in a bid to ``clear the decks`` ahead of the Olympics, the terrorism watchdog has said.
According to The Telegraph, David Anderson, the independent reviewer of terror legislation, said the Games are a ``major target`` for terrorists, and police is intervening in cases than they would normally do.
Anderson said: "The Olympics are potentially a major target and you are seeing the police, perhaps in a marginal case what they might do is decide to intervene a little bit earlier."
Anderson`s comments follow a series of arrests by counter-terrorism officers in recent weeks, the report said.
West Midlands Police had arrested seven men after guns and a rudimentary improvised device were found hidden in a car.
The vehicle had been stopped by chance by police for having no insurance, but the discovery was not made until it had been impounded.
It raised the suspicion that a group was planning a plot to carry out attacks.
It has also emerged that a suspected al Qaeda terrorist passed through the Olympic Park on five separate occasions, despite being banned from doing so.
The 24-year-old, who can only be referred to as CF, was arrested for breaching the terms of his an order under the Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act, referred to as a ``Tpim``.
Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper said the multiple breaches "raise very serious questions about the Home Secretary`s judgment in downgrading counter terror powers in Olympic year against expert advice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is #CongTerrorInRajyaSabha trending on Twitter?
- Bsetelangana.org SSC Result 2016: Telangana Board, TS 10th Class SSC Result 2016 likely to be declared soon on manabadi.co.in
- Baba Ramdev's 'new fan' Lalu Yadav says he is 'permanent brand ambassador' of Patanjali products
- Govt to cap Airfares during crises, natural calamities?
- WATCH: Brendon McCullum's unbelievable fielding effort vs Delhi Daredevils in Match 31 of IPL 2016