Olympics: UK arresting `marginal` terror suspects
London: British police is arresting ``marginal`` terror suspects in a bid to ``clear the decks`` ahead of the Olympics, the terrorism watchdog has said.
According to The Telegraph, David Anderson, the independent reviewer of terror legislation, said the Games are a ``major target`` for terrorists, and police is intervening in cases than they would normally do.
Anderson said: "The Olympics are potentially a major target and you are seeing the police, perhaps in a marginal case what they might do is decide to intervene a little bit earlier."
Anderson`s comments follow a series of arrests by counter-terrorism officers in recent weeks, the report said.
West Midlands Police had arrested seven men after guns and a rudimentary improvised device were found hidden in a car.
The vehicle had been stopped by chance by police for having no insurance, but the discovery was not made until it had been impounded.
It raised the suspicion that a group was planning a plot to carry out attacks.
It has also emerged that a suspected al Qaeda terrorist passed through the Olympic Park on five separate occasions, despite being banned from doing so.
The 24-year-old, who can only be referred to as CF, was arrested for breaching the terms of his an order under the Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act, referred to as a ``Tpim``.
Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper said the multiple breaches "raise very serious questions about the Home Secretary`s judgment in downgrading counter terror powers in Olympic year against expert advice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez