Oman proposes ban on niqab veils for women drivers
Riyadh: A Saudi online newspaper says Oman is proposing that women be banned from wearing face veils when driving.
Al-Watan said today Oman made the proposal at a meeting of Gulf Cooperation Council police traffic department heads. It singled out the niqab, a mask that covers a woman`s face, leaving only a slit for her eyes.
The Oman delegate said that wearing a niqab while driving should be a traffic violation, indicating that the garment restricts vision and represents a hazard.
The traffic police chiefs met in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia to discuss unification of traffic laws. They are referring proposals back to their governments.
In Saudi Arabia itself, such a regulation would have no immediate effect.
Though almost all Saudi women wear a niqab, women are forbidden to drive there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?