One convict killed, 106 flee as shells hit east Ukraine jail
Kiev: One convict was killed and over 100 escaped when shelling hit a high-security prison in the besieged rebel stronghold of Donetsk in east Ukraine, local authorities said Monday.
Mortar blasts rocked the correctional facility in a western district of the city Sunday evening, hitting the living areas, administrative headquarters and an electrical substation, the city council said in a statement.
One prisoner died and fifteen more received light wounds.
Meanwhile, the bombardment also sparked a mass jail break that saw scores of detainees flee the prison.
"A riot started in the facility and 106 people escaped their place of detention," the statement said.
By Monday morning an unspecified number had been returned to the facility and a more precise figure would be given by evening, the statement said.
An AFP correspondent reported sporadic shelling in the insurgent bastion overnight.
Shelling has pounded inner city Donetsk over the past few days as Ukrainian forces have surrounded the city and vowed to retake the pro-Russian rebel bastion.
A growing number of civilian casualties have been reported as artillery bombardments have hit hospitals and homes around the beleaguered city.
Over 1,300 have been killed and more than 285,000 people have fled their homes in the east due to fierce clashes in four months of what the Red Cross has already deemed a civil war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org