One dead, 1 critically hurt in NYC high-rise fire
New York: Authorities say one person has died and another has been critically injured in a high-rise apartment fire in midtown Manhattan.
Firefighter spokesman Danny Glover said the fire reported to authorities shortly after 11 am (local time) yesterday was in an apartment on the 20th floor of a building at 43rd Street and 10th Avenue.
He says it was brought under control shortly before 1 pm (local time). He says smoke spread to several apartments around the affected apartment. Glover says it was not immediately clear what caused the fire.
He says about 40 units responded to the fire.
Two civilians with critical injuries were taken to separate New York hospitals where police say one of the victims later died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter