One dead, 28 hurt in Rwanda grenade attacks: Police
Kigali: Two hand grenade attacks in the Rwandan capital Kigali killed one person and wounded 28 others overnight, a police spokesman said on national Radio Rwanda on Sunday.
Similar attacks had hit Kigali on February 19 and March 4, with two dead and about 20 wounded.
"Around 7:00 pm (on Saturday) a hand grenade exploded in the business district where 24 people were wounded and another person died," spokesman Eric Kayiranga said.
"At Nyabugogo (a Kigali district near the bus terminal), another hand grenade exploded wounding four people," he added. Nyabugogo was also the scene of the February 19 attacks.
The attacks took place in busy neighbourhoods during rush hours as tensions mount ahead of presidential elections due on August 09.
Incumbent President Paul Kagame is widely tipped to win the election after he was officially nominated by the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front in a special party congress on Saturday.
The Rwandan government has accused two former high-ranking Army officers, general Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa and colonel Patrick Karegeya, of masterminding the February and March attacks, branding them "acts of destabilisation".
Both have fled to South Africa.
In early March, Rwandan authorities said a Rwandan government opponent, Deo Mushayidi, was also believed to be behind the hand grenade attacks and arrested in Burundi.
"Police are doing their job and reassure the people: troublemakers will be unmasked and arrested,” police spokesman Kayiranga said on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi