One dead, 28 hurt in Rwanda grenade attacks: Police
Kigali: Two hand grenade attacks in the Rwandan capital Kigali killed one person and wounded 28 others overnight, a police spokesman said on national Radio Rwanda on Sunday.
Similar attacks had hit Kigali on February 19 and March 4, with two dead and about 20 wounded.
"Around 7:00 pm (on Saturday) a hand grenade exploded in the business district where 24 people were wounded and another person died," spokesman Eric Kayiranga said.
"At Nyabugogo (a Kigali district near the bus terminal), another hand grenade exploded wounding four people," he added. Nyabugogo was also the scene of the February 19 attacks.
The attacks took place in busy neighbourhoods during rush hours as tensions mount ahead of presidential elections due on August 09.
Incumbent President Paul Kagame is widely tipped to win the election after he was officially nominated by the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front in a special party congress on Saturday.
The Rwandan government has accused two former high-ranking Army officers, general Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa and colonel Patrick Karegeya, of masterminding the February and March attacks, branding them "acts of destabilisation".
Both have fled to South Africa.
In early March, Rwandan authorities said a Rwandan government opponent, Deo Mushayidi, was also believed to be behind the hand grenade attacks and arrested in Burundi.
"Police are doing their job and reassure the people: troublemakers will be unmasked and arrested,” police spokesman Kayiranga said on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India