One dead after South Africa university stampede
Johannesburg: Officials at a South African university say one person is dead after prospective students stampeded the campus.
Thousands of young adults and their parents began gathering at the University of Johannesburg campus on Monday to seek admission to the college.
Many had only learned they were eligible for further study after getting results from high school final exams last week.
University of Johannesburg vice chancellor Ihron Rensburg says a mother who had accompanied her son to the campus was killed in the melee. Two others were seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption