One dead, hundreds evacuated in flood-hit France
Hyeres(France): One man died today and more than 150 people had to be airlifted to safety after floods struck southeastern France, local authorities said.
A second man disappeared while out on his boat and 4,000 homes have been left without power after the inundations in the department of Var, they said.
The victim, a 73-year-old man, died in his basement, local official Laurent Cayrel told a press conference. He added that there had been "record rainfall".
"The situation is very worrying, and it`s not going to get any better tonight (Sunday)," he said, with forecasts of more rainfall.
Around 155 people had been airlifted from the worst-hit areas and efforts to evacuate residents by boat were continuing.
One local resident told how from her home she saw a huge wave sweep her empty car away before she was evacuated by helicopter with her five-year-old daughter.
"It was really staggering," she said. "We had called the fire brigade who told us to move the furniture upstairs.... We had very little time, the house flooded very quickly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley