One dead, hundreds evacuated in flood-hit France
Hyeres(France): One man died today and more than 150 people had to be airlifted to safety after floods struck southeastern France, local authorities said.
A second man disappeared while out on his boat and 4,000 homes have been left without power after the inundations in the department of Var, they said.
The victim, a 73-year-old man, died in his basement, local official Laurent Cayrel told a press conference. He added that there had been "record rainfall".
"The situation is very worrying, and it`s not going to get any better tonight (Sunday)," he said, with forecasts of more rainfall.
Around 155 people had been airlifted from the worst-hit areas and efforts to evacuate residents by boat were continuing.
One local resident told how from her home she saw a huge wave sweep her empty car away before she was evacuated by helicopter with her five-year-old daughter.
"It was really staggering," she said. "We had called the fire brigade who told us to move the furniture upstairs.... We had very little time, the house flooded very quickly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Donald Trump has already damaged national security: Madeline Albright
- These bollywood movie makers, superstars have been issued service tax notices by CBEC –Know
- Alert issued in Bihar following heavy rain in catchment areas of Nepal
- WWE SmackDown: July 26, 2016 - Results and highlights
- SHOCKING! Former PM Manmohan Singh's plane nearly crashed in 2007