One dead, several injured in Rotterdam train collision
Amsterdam: One man died and several people were injured as two cargo trains collided and hit a passenger train Thursday night near Rotterdam, Dutch police said.
The driver of one of the cargo trains died and, according to police, "relatively few others were injured" when two cargo trains collided around 10.30 p.m. (2030 GMT) near Barendrecht outside Rotterdam.
A spokesperson from rail management company ProRail said the passenger train was hit when "one or more cars from the cargo train got sidetracked after colliding with the other cargo train."
The national railways company NS said none of the 150 passengers in the so-called Benelux train, which runs between the Netherlands and Belgium, were injured in the mishap.
Police indicated "dangerous fluids or gasses" might have been spilled in the accident.
NS Railways immediately stopped all train traffic between Rotterdam Central and Dordrecht. Police also closed the A15 motorway, which runs along the railway track in both directions, to enable rescue workers to reach the accident site.
Some passengers who were taken out of the train reported smelling diesel fuel and said they saw "sparks" and "fires" following the collision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read