One dead, two injured in Athens bomb blast: Police
Athens: A powerful bomb exploded in front of an institute for training public officials in the west of Athens, killing a 15-year-old boy and injuring a girl and her mother, police said.
The boy was killed on the spot while his 10-year-old sister was seriously wounded and their mother escaped with slight injuries in the blast which occurred shortly before midnight yesterday.
Police said the family, Afghan nationals, were probably walking past the building when the explosion took place.
The girl was rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition after the bomb placed in a bag went off without warning in the city`s busy Patissia district at 10:50 pm (local time).
Greek anti-terrorism police cordoned off the area.
Attacks on public buildings and businesses are relatively frequent in Athens and the northern city of Salonika, but rarely injure anyone as there are usually warning calls that allow police to clear the area.
The last attack to have injured anyone was in October 2009, when six police officers were wounded in a machine gun attack on a police station.
Greece has been rocked by a string of attacks against economic interests and offices of politicians since a youth was killed by a police officer in December 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested