One dead, two injured in Athens bomb blast: Police
Athens: A powerful bomb exploded in front of an institute for training public officials in the west of Athens, killing a 15-year-old boy and injuring a girl and her mother, police said.
The boy was killed on the spot while his 10-year-old sister was seriously wounded and their mother escaped with slight injuries in the blast which occurred shortly before midnight yesterday.
Police said the family, Afghan nationals, were probably walking past the building when the explosion took place.
The girl was rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition after the bomb placed in a bag went off without warning in the city`s busy Patissia district at 10:50 pm (local time).
Greek anti-terrorism police cordoned off the area.
Attacks on public buildings and businesses are relatively frequent in Athens and the northern city of Salonika, but rarely injure anyone as there are usually warning calls that allow police to clear the area.
The last attack to have injured anyone was in October 2009, when six police officers were wounded in a machine gun attack on a police station.
Greece has been rocked by a string of attacks against economic interests and offices of politicians since a youth was killed by a police officer in December 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks