One-in-40 women in Britain victim of sex crime in 2012
London: One in 40 women - a total of 404,000 - have been the victim of serious sex offences, including rape, in Britain last year.
This includes one in 200 women - around 85,000 - who have been subjected to rape, according to the most detailed ever analysis of statistics by the Ministry of Justice.
The ministry report, according to The Sun tabloid, estimates there are up to 517,000 sex offences a year - including as many as 95,000 rapes. But shockingly only 5,620 sex offenders - including 1,070 rapists - were actually convicted.
The report also reveals 1,500 sex offenders were given cautions in 2011 - including 19 who were cautioned for rape.
Justice Minister Jeremy Wright said: "All sexual offences are abhorrent. Very tough sentences are available to the courts for those who commit the most serious offences including a new mandatory life sentence which we have introduced for anyone convicted of a second very serious sexual or violent crime."
The study also showed that it took up to 496 days to finish a case - from the day a sex offence is committed to when it was resolved in court.
The majority of this time - 295 days - falls between the date of the offence and the date the defendant is charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill