One in every ten police officers in UK has a part-time job
London: One police officer in every ten in UK has a part-time job or business interest, working as ski guides, waitresses, hairdressers, hypnotherapists and Avon ladies, an investigation has found.
Nearly 9,000 serving police officers, including many of senior rank, are earning money from second jobs, an investigation by the The Mail on Sunday has revealed.
The revelation of the widespread use of police spare time to boost wages comes as Home Secretary Theresa May faces stiff resistance to plans for cuts to pay and pensions, at a time when the annual bill for official police overtime has reached 382 million pounds, the paper said.
The registers of police-business interests identify a total of 8,669 second jobs. They include an officer in the Sussex force who has declared a financial interest in a gambling website and two Norfolk detectives who moonlight as mystery shoppers, it said.
A chief superintendent from Surrey makes money from selling jewellery, a Norfolk PC works part-time as a Royal Military Policeman while one officer from the Thames Valley force is a drone operator.
Under current regulations, officers can take a second job, provided it is compatible with their police duties and they have been given permission by a senior officer.
Association of Chief Police Officers is drawing up tougher guidelines to restrict officers from taking on certain second jobs or working as paid consultants.
The largest number of second jobbers are officers with the Metropolitan Police, where there are 3,041 declarations of business interests
nearly one in ten of the 31,000 force.
This compares with just 444 (1.5 per cent) of London-based policemen and women who made the same declaration in 2005. The Met register shows there are 30 part-time masseurs in the force as well as 26 hypnotherapists.
There are also four models, three antique dealers, 24 hairdressers and 48 film and television extras.
Police constables in London can earn up to 36,519 pounds before overtime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?