One in every ten police officers in UK has a part-time job
London: One police officer in every ten in UK has a part-time job or business interest, working as ski guides, waitresses, hairdressers, hypnotherapists and Avon ladies, an investigation has found.
Nearly 9,000 serving police officers, including many of senior rank, are earning money from second jobs, an investigation by the The Mail on Sunday has revealed.
The revelation of the widespread use of police spare time to boost wages comes as Home Secretary Theresa May faces stiff resistance to plans for cuts to pay and pensions, at a time when the annual bill for official police overtime has reached 382 million pounds, the paper said.
The registers of police-business interests identify a total of 8,669 second jobs. They include an officer in the Sussex force who has declared a financial interest in a gambling website and two Norfolk detectives who moonlight as mystery shoppers, it said.
A chief superintendent from Surrey makes money from selling jewellery, a Norfolk PC works part-time as a Royal Military Policeman while one officer from the Thames Valley force is a drone operator.
Under current regulations, officers can take a second job, provided it is compatible with their police duties and they have been given permission by a senior officer.
Association of Chief Police Officers is drawing up tougher guidelines to restrict officers from taking on certain second jobs or working as paid consultants.
The largest number of second jobbers are officers with the Metropolitan Police, where there are 3,041 declarations of business interests
nearly one in ten of the 31,000 force.
This compares with just 444 (1.5 per cent) of London-based policemen and women who made the same declaration in 2005. The Met register shows there are 30 part-time masseurs in the force as well as 26 hypnotherapists.
There are also four models, three antique dealers, 24 hairdressers and 48 film and television extras.
Police constables in London can earn up to 36,519 pounds before overtime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi