One killed, 4 wounded in school shooting in US
Chardon: A gunman opened fire inside a
high school cafeteria in the US state of Ohio on Monday, killing
one student and wounding four others, authorities said.
A suspect, believed to be a student, was arrested a short
The suspect was taken into custody near his car one
kilometre from the suburban Cleveland school, the FBI said.
FBI agent Scott Wilson would not comment on a possible
motive for the attack.
Panicked students screamed and ran through the halls when
gunfire broke out at the start of the school day at
1,100-student Chardon High School.
Heather Ziska, 17, said she was in the cafeteria when she
and other students heard popping noises in the hall. She said
she saw a boy she recognised as a fellow student come into the
cafeteria and start shooting.
She said she and several others immediately ran outside,
while other friends ran into a middle school and others locked
themselves in a teachers` lounge.
"Everybody just started running," said 17-year-old Megan
Hennessy, who was in class when she heard loud noises.
"Everyone was running and screaming down the hallway."
Five students were taken to local hospitals, officials said.
One student later died, Police Chief Timothy McKenna said. The
suspect is a juvenile who was not immediately charged. His
name was not released.
The condition of the wounded students was not disclosed.
Chardon, a town of about 5,100 people, is about 50 kilometres
east of Cleveland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya
- Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 hurt, 3 seriously
- People's faith in our work renewed our vigour: PM Modi at India Gate